As it would happen, at the beginning of the summer, I found the world’s most perfect dress! I was at a pin up pageant, and one of the contestants had this amazing Lindy Bop Circus print dress. I just had to have it! There was only one problem: it was out of stock at Lindy Bop! What’s a girl to do? Well, here is how I found my unicorn, and it might help you when you find that perfect piece that is out of stock at your favorite store!
The first thing I did was to check with my favorite little boutiques. I love a lot of vintage inspired clothing, and I know a few boutiques that carry Lindy Bop, which is one of my favorite brands! First, I checked with Sudzy’s Pin Up Palace. She did not have it. So, of course, I checked with Retro Rosie‘s. I came up empty there too! Next I took to Facebook. Facebook has some awesome buy,sell, trade groups especially for plus size gals like myself. I tend to buy a lot of my clothes from them.
If you are a little hesitant to purchase, here are some things you can do to help make sure you don’t get burned.
- choose groups that are heavily administered. When the administrators stay on top of things, you are less likely to encounter a fraud.
- Start slow. Watch for sellers that seem to do a lot of business because if they are doing a lot of business, then you are less likely to have problems.
- Always make sure that you get an invoice. All the groups in which I belong require Pay Pal transactions. Some people try to do a money request instead of an invoice. Never participate in a money request. If something goes wrong, you can file a claim with Pay Pal as long as you have an invoice.
- Be sure you know the exact price. Is shipping included? Is shipping extra? Does the seller combine shipping? Always know before committing to purchase.
- Finally, make sure you know the measurements and condition of item. Take snapshots of the Facebook post in case you need it for later.
I have never really had issues with buy,sell, trade groups, but I have heard stories. I am always cautious, but seriously, I get a lot of my clothes through these groups because you can find some amazing deals. I wear a lot of Cherry Velvet. I know a seller that holds flash sales for their dresses every so often. They have all been like brand new! It is a fabulous way to get your unicorn…
…Which brings me to how you should search for your unicorn in these groups. If you are looking for something, you want to post ISO along with a picture and possibly a price range you are willing to pay. A lot of times, I have great success in doing just that. Unfortunately, with my Circus Dress I did not have any luck.
Just about the time I wanted to give up, I went back to Retro Rosie, and lo and behold…there was my dress!!! Even more lucky for me, the store was having a sale that weekend, so I scored the dress for a great price!
I was super excited, and I ended up wearing it for the first time for Thanksgiving dinner because I am a little extra like that. It is just as cute as the first time I saw it, and it is super comfy too. I felt super cute in it!
So if you happen to see something on Instagram or Pinterest…or even when you are out and about, but you don’t know how to get a hold of it in your size, try these tips. I very much suggest this especially when it comes to vintage inspired dresses because I see a lot of my favorite prints by my favorite designers being passed off on Amazon and Ebay as knockoffs. Also, when looking for something by your favorite brand, start keeping a list of small boutiques to try because they just might have what you are looking for, plus shopping small businesses is just awesome!
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates and be sure to get social with me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!